Forced Unpaid Days off Unfairly Blames Workers for the Government's own Mess
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 15, 2017
FORCED UNPAID DAYS OFF UNFAIRLY BLAMES WORKERS FOR THE GOVERNMENT’S OWN MESS
Today’s suggestion by Saskatchewan’s Finance Minister, Kevin Doherty, that public sector workers should be forced to take unpaid days off has the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour (SFL) extremely concerned.
“It’s clear the government has had a knee jerk reaction with regards to this ill-conceived idea of forced unpaid days off,” said SFL president Larry Hubich, “that kind of decision-making does not create good public policy. I encourage the finance minister to consider other deficit-reducing alternatives, such as: scrapping the $2 billion privatized bypass around Regina, stop giving away our liquor stores, completely eliminate LEAN, and cease all costly privatization schemes this government has been duped into,” he added.
Unfair measures like this are an attempt to blame workers for the government’s own mismanagement.
“The government caused this $1.2 billion deficit – not Saskatchewan’s workers. Forcing an unpaid day off per month is roughly a 5 per cent wage rollback,” said Hubich, “wage reductions, forced unpaid days off, and layoffs will do nothing to stimulate our economy or create the stability this province needs,” he added.
To combat cuts and the privatization of Crowns, the SFL is inviting everyone to a Rally for Saskatchewan taking place Wednesday, March 8th at the Legislature at noon. Folks are also invited to attend town halls on stopping cuts and privatization:
- February 15th – Prince Albert. 7:00PM. 107 – 8th St East Union Center;
- February 16th – Tisdale. 7:00PM. 901 – 100 Street North Doors Town Office, Tisdale Room;
- February 18th – Yorkton. 2:00PM. 240 Wellington St. St. Mary’s Cultural Centre;
- February 27th – Moose Jaw. 7:00PM Moose Jaw Union Centre 1402 Caribou Street;
- February 28th – Regina. 7:00PM. Location TBA. Larger than originally anticipated venue being booked;
- March 1st – Saskatoon. 7:00PM. 359 1st Ave North Anavets downstairs;
- March 7th – Swift Current. 7:00PM. Holiday Inn Express 1301 Service Road NE;
- March 13th – North Battleford. 7:00PM. Don Cross Centre Room 107 891-99th Street;
- March 14th – Meadow Lake. 7:00PM. Travelodge Hotel 101 1st East;
- March 15th – Lloydminster. 7:00PM. Days Inn Hotel 5411 44st;
- March 16th – Kindersley. 7:00PM. Kindersley Inn 601 11 Ave East Teak Room.
- 30 -
For additional information, contact:
SFL Strategic Advisor
o: 1 (306) 525-0197
m: 1 (306) 570-1855