National Day of Mourning
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 27, 2018
On National Day of Mourning SFL renews demand for action on workplace violence and harassment
This National Day of Mourning, the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour (SFL) is calling on the federal and provincial governments to do more to address workplace violence and harassment.
Every April 28th, unions join workers and their families to mourn those who have been injured or killed on the job. Workplace violence and harassment have also led to worker deaths, as well as significant injuries.
“Workplace harassment and violence are often overlooked by employers and governments as hazards of the job,” said Larry Hubich, president of the SFL. “In the era of #metoo and #timesup, we need to talk about the negative impacts these hazards can have in the workplace and what should be done about them,” he added.
Employers should work with health and safety committees to:
- Develop appropriate policies and programs;
- Offer training to prevent workplace violence, including harassment;
- Identify workplace hazards and develop an action plan for addressing them;
- Address domestic violence at work by conducting workplace risk assessments, offering training and safety planning, and ensuring supports are in place for workers experiencing domestic violence.
Governments can also do more to help prevent and stop workplace harassment by:
- Making it safe for workers to report harassment and violence by implementing anti-reprisal measures, including whistleblower protection;
- Hiring and training more health and safety officers;
- Recognizing domestic violence as a workplace hazard, and;
- We again call on the provincial government to provide paid days leave from work for survivors of domestic violence.
Supporters can add their voice to the Canadian Labour Congress’ campaign at dayofmourning.ca.
This year the SFL is laying green and yellow flowers at Day of Mourning events. Not only are these the colours of our province and our federation of labour, they are the colours of the Humboldt Broncos in special recognition of the workers who died in that terrible tragedy while on the job.
To find Saskatchewan Day of Mourning events, visit: http://www.sfl.sk.ca/day-of-mourning-events-2018
- 30 -
For additional information, contact:
SFL Strategic Advisor
m: 1 (306) 570-1855